You do not spend more because the tax code is simplified. Corporations do not have to go through the perplexing tax code and basically a whole division of it has been cut out thus making prices relative again. Then, in reality, you are not paying as much as you stated above. Also, with the fair tax, there is a prebate which entails everyone gettings a check in the beginning of the money of what "poverty level" essentials cost you (food, water, whatever to survive) which cuts out your argument on paying for food at outrageous amounts. Therefore, your numbers (like I said before), do not hold up. Let me help you out and explain what the real arguement against the fair tax is. Basically, people are saying politicians will try and exempt certain areas of the fair tax (medicine for example), thus bringing up the fair tax rate to 30 or 40 and thus the prices on stuff do not pan out to help the individual. Unfortunately, that arguement does not hold up because that is CHANGING the fair tax. Fair tax calls for taxing everything and thus keeping the tax rate "low". The fair tax also brings out of country business back to the US and brings up the economy. More businesses will come here and create more jobs for the unemployed as well because there is no complex tax code to go through anymore. The IRS does nothing but make sure sales tax is being collected and will shrink to almost nothing. Individuals will not have to deal with income tax anymore and I do not know about you, but that sounds just dandy to me.

~Easy