I need other people to help me with this. Umm, the project is to create a detailed city environment with buildings players can walk into and such. Most of the map team members (all except smurf I think) have been helping me recently with testing my role play server plugin that I have been developing. But once this plugin is done it will need a map for it to be played on. Although my plugin is basically my version of Garrys' Mod RP, a GM RP map is not sufficient. There are too many differences between the engines to be reconciled by the plugin, and therefore a new CS:S RP map is required. So, we need a new map and a city would be fun. I could straight-up make the map on my own, but that would take a few weeks. Additionally, I am the only one who is skilled with Source Mod so I'm basically forced to develop the plugin on my own. With that in mind I therefore need other mappers to get started on the city.

I think we can have a modular framework for building a city together so if everybody made just one or two blocks they could all be linked together by me or whoever to create one cohesive, kick-ass map. What would this map look like?

It will have a few requirements...

- Most doors must be func_door_rotating or prop_door_rotating
- Map needs a government building with jail cells and such (this will be real fun to make)
- Map needs apartments with individual rooms
- 64 spawns located centrally within the map (a park would be a great place)
- It needs a shopping district -- small empty stores, probably near the govt
- Maybe a pool hall or a bar for the Mafia to hang out in
- Other cool stuff (maybe a subway or a road going out of town to a rural area?)

Modularity:
If you guys indeed decide to take up some work for this, maybe to make just one or two buildings, I have some design requirements...

- Floor surface of main lobby is at 0 high. Building can extend below this if you want. Walls within the building are going to be 128 units high until they hit the ceiling. Space between different floors can be whatever, just keep the interior halls and rooms with 128 high walls. Building footprints where rectangular must be constructed in multiples of 128 units as well. The inside doesn't really matter though. All internal walls (except where you have some really good reason to not do this) must be a multiple of 8 units thick and they must be aligned with the 8 grid. Windows and doors can necessarily be thinner. The 8 grid is when you have the grid size set to 1 unit, you see the brighter white lines every 8 units. Line up your walls with that. To do that easily just make the grid be 8 x 8 squares and use snap to grid.

That's all very specific and whatnot, but we're doing that so that the map will be optimized. Failure to build to those specifications leads to VVIS taking 6 hours or something stupid. The map may end up large but I'll be damned if it lags.

Sorry to be such a downer with all that, this honestly should be an opportunity to have some fun making buildings and stuff. I really want to start right away by myself, but the plugin will never get finished if I do that. So yea. Thanks in advance to anyone who makes something for this, big or small. If all you make is just a crappy gas station, even with this you've contributed a lot and you WILL get your name on the map for it.

So yeah, please help me out guys this is gonna pwn.

** Also:
Feel free to decompile my maps and use stuff from them if you want. ze_retribution comes to mind. I can also provide you guys with .vmfs of my maps if you want.