PDA

View Full Version : Max Persons Allowed ^_^

h00kah
02-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Alright I think that CS_office should NOT have 44 people running around inside the map. Let alone I don't think our server can handle 44 people anyway, making the whole problem that much worse. So I'm proposing to lower the max number of people allowed to join the server.

I've talked to some regs, like myself, no i don't talk to myself..whatever, but they also believe that we should lower it because of the lag issues and whatever else reasons they may have. Now, the ultimate decision is really up to sio but I'm hoping that we can get a large number of the regulars to post here and express their opinion because I really do not have much fun when the server is lagging.

I tried the poll thing on the forums and it's being gay so just reply to this and let me know what you guys think!!

Also: Suggest what the max number of people should be. I'm thinking 30 would be a good number but let me know! ANNDDDDDD Express your feelings on all-talk..I also want it setup so you can only talk to your team while alive and only talk to dead while dead.

BraveToaster
02-23-2008, 12:33 PM
I agree.

Sajora
02-23-2008, 12:33 PM
well i cant tell u guys much about any lag if the server is full cause i dont like playing that much ppl when there are more then 30 ppl i dont rly wanna play there then that doesnt mean that i dont like our servers ;)
but id say 36 like on unlimited would be cool

Konkave
02-23-2008, 12:38 PM
I agree with hook. Its been lagging worse lately and i dont like it! i would like to see it come down to 30-36.

Natalya
02-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Doesn't lag when I'm there...

Iunno guys like the whole point of our servers is to have them jam-packed, and currently reg office and Dust 2 are the only ones that do that. Zombie Mod's coming back though. But still we want more players cuz more players means more regulars and more regs means less mic spamming bullshit and more potential admins right. So I doubt that we'd lower the player cap, but maybe there is some other stuff we can do to the server to improve lag when its full?

pooptastic
02-23-2008, 01:22 PM
just play all by yourself. that way the lag is at a minimum and you can run around the map all you want. i do it whenever i get sick of the lag.

h00kah
02-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah like stop running Windows 95 on the server! ..jk Sio.

I see where your coming from but the people that want change ARE the regulars..listen to the people!!

Seraphim
02-23-2008, 02:03 PM
While I can see and understand the need to have the servers as packed as possible, something has to be done about the lag. The other day, I was curious, and I went to several random servers with high populations like Reg Office's at peak time (as I wanted to know what was causing the steady increases of lag I've been seeing over the last few months), and I didn't lag anywhere (relatively speaking, anyway), except one place (but then again, that particular server had almost 50 people, I had a ping of almost 400, and I think it was located in Malaysia)- and even then, the one round I *was* able to play on that server before getting kicked was equivalent to the lag I see with 30 people on Reg Office (and I have an average of a ping of 50 there, I think). Mind you, I tested this on my computer, not Scribe's.

When Scribe and I were setting up our server, I did some reading up (as we were trying to do some optimization), and one issue that causes server lag is the caching of people's sprays, and that purging this cache every now and then would free up system resources... might this be part of the lag that's seen? I mean, as many regulars and random pubs that visit daily, I could imagine it to get quite huge...

Thing is... is quality needs to take priority over quantity. I don't know about anyone else, but if nothing about it can be fixed, I would prefer to see 2 Reg Offices, each with 30 people (or even 20 people) where no one with a half-decent computer sees lag, than 1 40-man Reg Office where everyone, even those with top-of-the-line computers, complains about how bad the lag is. ...What good is a 40-man server, when all the regulars have left, and pubs don't become regulars, because the lag is too intolerable? ...imho, it is better to be "best" as opposed to just "biggest" (of course, being both is good too... ^_~).

Edit: As for all-talk, I wouldn't have a problem if people would just follow the rules. However, people don't. And then there's certain people who never seem to die, but don't know when to stop talking either... and because it's generally about in-game issues or otherwise relevant, I can't very well mute them either... and to make it worse, they tend to talk to the dead, and the dead can't really reply in text to the living, so that's a rather sucky dilemma... and the people in D2 are asking for team-chat/dead-chat to be turned back on again (and as much as people in there incessantly talk, I don't blame them one bit)... I think that, if there was a way an admin could still retain or toggle all-talk (hearing and being able to speak to both teams, as well as both the living and the dead... mayhaps, team while alive, all when dead... could something like this be made as a plug-in or scripted?), it would be better to have team-chat/dead-chat as opposed to all-talk. That way, we'd only have to deal with people who won't STFU period and music spammers (who really are relatively few and far between), as opposed to people who won't STFU while dead (which everyone who uses a mic regularly has been guilty of, at one point or another).

NoSympathy
02-23-2008, 02:32 PM
if the server is full there is no reason why it should have less people imo. lag comes with pubbing, theres nothing to do to stop it.

h00kah
02-23-2008, 02:38 PM
if the server is full there is no reason why it should have less people imo. lag comes with pubbing, theres nothing to do to stop it.

That's exactly my point. It could be full, and have 30 people with no lag.. Or be full and have 44 people with a bunch of lag. I don't see what's wrong with lowering the Player Number.

NoSympathy
02-23-2008, 03:07 PM
30/30 vs. 44/44..more people playing on NU servers = more people happy. if we did 30/30 we would probably have to have 2 office servers

h00kah
02-23-2008, 03:30 PM
44/44 = people lagging and quite a few regulars I've talked to NOT being happy =\

We should do a 30/30 regular only server, PW'd

And a 30/30 noob server for non-regs.

I win.

NoSympathy
02-23-2008, 09:10 PM
i get no lag, except when people nade their spammed guns on the floor.

siosios
02-23-2008, 10:20 PM
ok i guess i have to step in due to a lack of common sense in some of this conversation. the server as i have always stated is not the issue (for 80% at least). shitty vid cards and crap pc's dont handle the dead bodies and weapons lying around everywhere or a huge group of people all at one time. i do believe thier are all kinds of posts in the tech section of the forums on how to increase fps and reduce lag but it seems noone ever thinks to go read what i have posted that MAY help them with issues of this nature. ive got an idea lets get rid of zombie mod as that and reg office are the most hardware intensive servers we have (concerning the servers inability as it has been stated). for those of you that dont know ... we run Quad Processor Quad Core Intel 7320 - 2.13GHz (Tigerton) - 4 x 4MB cache Ram 8 GB FB-DIMM Registered 533/667 First Hard Drive 147GB SA-SCSI 15k drive for the servers and have only 9 cores used out of 16 and a gigabit connection to the outside world.

please forward all comments about your experiance with hardware to me so i can see what IM doing wrong

thanks
sio

ps: you can voice your opinions but the owners will decide (not just me)

thanks
siosios

pasties
02-24-2008, 03:19 AM
Another major problem is peoples rates, the server isnt going to be going to a 30 man hookah. Thanks

I would like to hear about what some people thing of all talk though.

NoSympathy
02-24-2008, 03:27 AM
i think having it all talk only when dead would cut down on alot of bitching (myself included). the only bad thing is you can't yell at people for not getting the hosties :)

Natalya
02-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah no1 brought up rates. Y'all need to be more strict with them. Tell someone to change heir rates for like 2 or 3 rounds, and when they don't because they're a newb and don't read text chat, just kick them with the reason "FIX UR RATES" and then they'll come back and start paying attention to you.

siosios
02-24-2008, 02:29 PM
here just so you guys know what i work on daily:

http://www.n00bunlimited.net/files/cores1.PNG

h00kah
02-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Damn, I have been defeated on my 30 man charge. Ah well..I'll just go with sios thing on better FPS and shit and hopefully that fixes it :roll:

Anywho, I still want the top dogs to look into the whole talking thing.. There is a certain someone who I can't stand to listen to that is indeed a regular, If I could join the other team when he is there I would be fine. lulz. Anywho, I'll be in teamspeak more often if you guys want to talk about it with everyone.

Thanks for the replies gaiz!

NoSympathy
02-24-2008, 03:11 PM
LOL SPARTAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

claydog114
02-26-2008, 06:32 AM
Guy/Gals I'm with Sio and Pastiez on the server staying as a 44 man server. As for all-talk. I do not want it changed.. I know some people can be difficult to deal with sometime's but you guys/gals aren't admin's so you don't see what other effect's team talk causes.. So, let me demonstrate

Let's say you are playing and everything is fine. your on CT I'm on T.. someone comes in join's CT.. and they are spamming the frick outta the mic every round.. Guess what I can't hear them so you have to deal with it until someone tell's me/another admin. So that makes it difficult for me/other admin's to get problematic players out of the server in a short amount of time.

Some of the compliment's I have gotten were on the ability for we admin's in reg office to get rid of "mic spammers etc" ie. one of our regulars "OIL Valentino Rossi/cbr 954" And I like being able to talk to the other team. cause guess what if I'm on T and your on CT and you kill a hostie, I cant say "DON'T KILL HOSTIE'S"

So I am against team talk!

Sio/Pastiez I apologize for not responding sooner.. I've been busy with schoooool..

siosios
02-26-2008, 06:58 AM
must not have been too busy becuase schoooool is only spelt with 2 o's

Seraphim
02-26-2008, 12:58 PM
After checking out Sio's notes in the Tech Section, I've tweaked my system to what he's recommended, and I can play when there's 16 ppl to a side again, even 18 with some lag. Of course, I'm not seeing corpses, sprays, flashlights, or bullet holes, *but* it has helped my performance overall.

I would recommend it to anyone who has an ancient computer like mine, or is generally suffering from lag.

smiley
05-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Kinda old but the lag issue still happens when the server gets to like 15+ people a team. I know myself I dont have the best computer but i played on n00bsalads office which only has about 28 players max and it runs much smoother then n00bunlimited's with 44 players max. Like Sera said having 2 reg office maps full with 28-30 and little to no lag is much better then having 1 server with 44 people and a lagfest.

Get_One
05-07-2008, 09:31 PM
i have to say i agree with siosios on this one...

I have a nice computer...
AMD X2 4200+
2gb ram
1900gt (overclocked)

and i bearly ever see lag...only when the nade spamming is blowing the shit out of office, and shits flying everywhere..
U guys need to get off ur asses and BUY NEW COMPUTERS that arnt run by hampsters :)

Sincerly,

Get_One

ps: Dont be cheap bastards :)))
triple chin

vince21
05-31-2008, 03:33 AM
Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about computers. :( It's one of my goals for the summer. My older brother built this one. It's very nice and the only time I have trouble with lag is when I have internet problems - I'm in a frat. That said, there are both pluses and minuses to having 44 max.

Pros: It allows me to rape more people in any given round :) , and it helps to teach ppl patience, or how to aim well when rushing. Also, you get to meet more people and play with more of your friends. Two reg offices means the players get split. I kinda like playing with all of you guys, and I hate making tough decisions, like who's cooler than who. Like Sio said, there are ways to lower the lag and honestly, the server is hardly ever at full capacity.

Cons: Yes, there can be some lag and it can crowded. It's not always fun to look down long hall as CT and see 12 Ts staring back before your head pops. I wouldn't mind terribly having less people - greater mobility and it's easier to flank opposition.

But it's worked well so far, so I think we'll live. As for teamspeak, I agree with Clay. It's nice chatting with the other team as you kill them; I know I crack up a lot. And besides, it makes the game more fun and involves everyone as a whole, rather than as two seperate units. And if you really want to get strategic, you can use teamchat - remember that key "u"? - to type quick messages, i.e. "grg" or what-have-you. I've lived without a mic for quite a while now - yes I'll be getting one soon, don't worry. You all get to hear my pretty little voice. I'm a college kid, I'm poor. Not to mention, having all-talk really makes it easier for admin, and for us to say something to them. Question, though: if there were team-talk/dead-talk, t's and ct's could still type to one another, correct?

Anyways, that's what I think, so ha! Keep up the killing, I'll rape you soon.

~vince

royalewitcheese
06-21-2008, 10:24 AM
I don't know. When the server gets close to full it always seems to be a t rapefest. I notice when its high in players the T's all bunch up with awps in long and projector all awping through their t folks. Makes it really difficult to even crack a shot off on ct side when you go to do anything to find 6/7 ts in one spot all firing awp shots at you and since we have no more blocking this gets mega exploited in places like long hall. Nothing better then attempting to fight a t armada in longhall to have multiple ts just ghost past the awpers spraying up longhall like valentino and even I do. If we cut down the server max a little I think this would help rectify to situation and free up movement space in office. Office has only so many spots for ts and cts to move and go to. 36 max seems promising to me.

As for the mic stuff, I really don't mind it much till everyone starts to add there 2 cents on when they die. Words like, "whatever, bullshit, garhrrh, omg, nice help team, stop camping" all are usually followed by "shut up". When 30+ folks start doing this, the mic seems to get very annoying then especially toward he end of a round where you kinda need to be able to hear. If yall could find a way for admins to be able to talk when dead but everyone else not to then I think there should be dead talk. If not, then we can just keep it as is.

On the lag issue, Higher numbers on server equals a higher probability of css players have lag issues. Nothing better then people whose computer that cannot handle all the fighting to stay in the server for hrs warping around corners. What really gets me on the lag is when 3/4 guys on either side ct or t decide to bust out machine guns and go to spamming bullets everywhere but there comp can't handle it so they go all glitchy and no one seems to be able to hit them cuz there hitboxes are all off. Another problem I have is those folks with 160+ ping popping in the server from around the globe or on dsl crap. Stuff never seems to register right on them. They don't seem to lag per say but bullets never seem to reach there target correctly on them. I kinda think this is due to the fact they ping is more sporadic as I notice these folks seem to spike up and down ranging from 152 ping up to 175.

NoSympathy
06-21-2008, 11:28 AM
4 less people, really?

royalewitcheese
06-22-2008, 12:13 PM
If its 36, I think we can stop with the run through people and return again to normal. Admins always say, "Awps are part of the game" but also is a physical teammate who you can't run through. If we lower it to 36 then turn back on the people bodies or whatever then it would force office to play like its suppose to. Office was not designed to allow every t to camp in projector room cuz there is not enough spots to camp there. It forces more people out of that room then inside. Seems to me the servers changed in a weird way and I think we should get back to normal. Pathboy stated to me, Well when we were normal all you heard was, "Get outta my spot, spot blocking etc." The irony of this is that this is part of the game. You don't wanna get blocked? Don't always crowd camping. Something just doesn't make sense. I am confused lol.

NoSympathy
06-22-2008, 01:48 PM
i wouldn't play reg office if there was blocking again

Kirk
06-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Leave the server the way it is. Turn blocking on and thats all you get. doors are to narrow to accommodate for 44 or 36 people. Then you will get people purposely blocking. Everyone gets pissed when they get blocked by cabinets. Everyone bitches about lag, including me, but not much you can do about it. It does get gay when someone comes around a corner spraying and lagging and they are like already in the middle of the hallway before you even see them cause there fucking warping lol.

TiberianSun
06-23-2008, 08:08 AM
turning blocking on will result in double the blockage.

royalewitcheese
06-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Non blocking leads to some pretty randy exploit shooting though. To me tiberian, there really isn't a blocking issue when servers run around 30 folks on. Once you start going higher then things get sketchy as the map was not designed for that many people. When i'm playing in reg office throughout the day before the swarms of folks pop in and its like 30/34 guys in I barely find myself having to fight for position or running through peoples bodies.

vince21
06-23-2008, 02:26 PM
i'm going to agree with both of you. it's not a huge deal when there's not too many people on, but it can be damn annoying when you're teammate is just standing there and you're trying to get through a doorway for some reason. and then you get shot. i'd say just leave it as it is. we're all used to it now, and i don't think they're going to lessen the number of people allowed, so it's not huge if there's no blocking.

MAGiK
06-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Look, like sio said if theres tons of dead bodies and sprays and your computer wont handle it, your going to lag. I have a few qwirks that disable sprays and lil stuff here n there to reduce lag. And im only running a 6600 LE nvidia.. and no lag. 30 shmirty its a pub come one-come all!! =P

LordMindhunter
06-24-2008, 07:07 AM
I would let it like this the more people on the more people i can kill so.

The thing that lags the server, what i think, is that to many people in 1 place lik ts in pr and they buy more than 1 guns and start spraying, i would deal with this problem first. Enhanced the gameplay rstrict the quantity of players camping like pussys, i know its their job but its 4 hosties no need for 15+ people to protect them, play tact. and get behind ct and hold them from getting hosties away. thats what i say.

Grtz

Kirk
06-25-2008, 12:33 PM
we just wanna make sure they is safe ya herd!

Get_One
07-02-2008, 04:54 PM
lol kirk...but i would agree wit lord....the same people that bitch about lag are the same ppl spamming guns and shit...its annoying..