PDA

View Full Version : Fucked Hard Drive

Natalya
09-07-2008, 08:51 PM
It looks like my HD with my Steam install is fucked to hell. O well. I was able to get my maps, textures, and skins and stuff off of the hard drive, so that's safe, but it looks like I might be off for a few days before I can get a new hard drive to replace it. (My other one that I run Windows from is even older and only 40GB so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to install Steam on there.) Right now I'm just trying to get what data I can off of the drive with a recovery program. Hopefully I'll be able to get my music off. Only thing is the old drive might not have enough room left to store everything I want to keep, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But yea, that's what's up with me.

Rey
09-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Hopefully everything works out fine and you get back ASAP! I don't wanna miss you too much!

<3 Rey

enderless
09-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Nat if you would like i have over 5gb of recovery prog's. Saved my ass more than once...

Natalya
09-08-2008, 11:47 PM
I got one off the interwebs. It was supposed to cost something like $80 but I might as well buy a new HD for that much right so no point in actually paying. Umm it cleaned the drive up enough that it's workable, but there are still damaged sectors on the drive, meaning I will need to get a new one anyway since the drive is pretty much just a time-bomb waiting to blow. I'll try to get a new drive this week. But yea unless ur stuff can actually fix the drive then I'm not sure what it can do for me.

°¯°

OttoBohn
09-09-2008, 07:34 AM
GetDataFast (ntfs or fat32) is what we use.

If that fails, time for putting the HD in the freezer, then recovering.

otto

Natalya
09-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Drive is totally fucked. It crashes the comp if I turn it on with the drive connected. If I connect the drive after windows finishes loading then it's okay, but this alone shows how screwed up it is. I'll probably get a new drive today.

enderless
09-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Yea Nat the best that i can offer would be something like Otto recommended. The only other alternative would be something like 0&0 Disc Manager Suite that would do a deep scan and partition off the bad sectors. But like you said, that would essentially leave you with a ticking time bomb. :/