PDA

View Full Version : Help, CS:S/Steam loading slow

TheRonin
08-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi all. So for the last month or two, my steam has been loading way slow. Let me walk you through it.

>Double click CSS icon on desktop.
around 45 seconds later, it displays "connecting to steam account"
15-20 seconds later it displays "preparing to launch"...

My issue is with the load time prior to "connecting to steam account". It used to take approx 5-10 seconds.

I have already defragmented my Steam as well as my whole pc.

Any other suggestions?

siosios
08-24-2008, 11:47 AM
check and see if your anti virus is scanning the steam files.... it can cuase apps to load slow.

BioHaZarD69
08-24-2008, 12:18 PM
if you have any type of tweaking program or something that clears your prefetch files on shut down could cause all kinds of stuff to load slowly...prefetch files are information files windows saves about certain apps to help them load up a bit quicker...theres alot of opinions on prefetch subject....some say its best to clear them some say its best to keep them and clear them once a month.....but heres my personal experience...my css and steam did the same crap got sick of it looked into prefetching in detail...i stopped clearing it at shut down and let it save files rebooted 3 times to make sure it was saving files now my steam and css start up in about 5 seconds flat and im in game...hope this helps out.

TheRonin
08-24-2008, 05:14 PM
i stopped clearing it at shut down and let it save files rebooted 3 times to make sure it was saving files now my steam and css start up in about 5 seconds flat and im in game

I'll look into this, tks.