PDA

View Full Version : hl2.exe Error?

NoogyMan
02-24-2010, 07:46 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/some_name_thats_stupid/h2_error.jpg

Wtf does this mean and How the hell do I get it to stop?!

This has been kicking me off CSS everytime I start it up and get in a good game.
-Jackd said he also gets this sometimes; however, it doesn't kick him off. It does kick me off of CSS.

This is bugging the shit out of me....

-Noogyman TR%.

Miguel
02-24-2010, 07:52 PM
i usually get that if i leave the game minimized for a long time and try to bring it up /shrug

khaotik
02-24-2010, 07:52 PM
1st.
Verify your game cache.
(steam icon->games->rightclick css->properties->localfiles->verify game cache)
See if it starts.

2nd.
Rename config.cfg in /cfg/ to configold.cfg

See if it starts.

NoogyMan
02-24-2010, 07:54 PM
It's been happening to me while i'm in game playing. It's kicked me off like 2-3 times every 5-10 min. I'm in Gungame.

-Noogyman %%##d

Shotgun
02-24-2010, 08:00 PM
It used to happen to me when i had a coding account after i modified some files.

DoT
02-24-2010, 08:49 PM
It happens to me as well when:
1. I have been idling for a long time and i try to open css up from being minimized.
2. I alt-tab out and re-open css multiple times
3. I alt-tab out while i'm joining a server.

It's never kicked me out while i was in-game though.

vince21
02-24-2010, 10:48 PM
yeah, i get it every now and then as well. pretty much like they all said. i also get it if i jump servers too quickly. but it's gotta be something different if it's happening that often. tried restarting steam? have you changed anything with your steam files?

NoogyMan
02-24-2010, 10:53 PM
I logged out and back in to steam. Didn't work.

1st.
Verify your game cache.
(steam icon->games->rightclick css->properties->localfiles->verify game cache)
See if it starts.

2nd.
Rename config.cfg in /cfg/ to configold.cfg

See if it starts.

I Did this. It worked for awhile but when I switched from the GunGame server to the Deathmatch server. It did it again. But when I rejoined after it did it. It didn't do it....

-Noogyman :finger:

vince21
02-25-2010, 10:09 AM
so yay, problem solved? or is it just laying in wait, watching you let your guard down?

NoogyMan
02-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Ok seriously this thing is pissing me off.

I started up CSS and none of my binds where there so I typed them all in again and they worked. Like 3 mins. ago that fucking thing popped up again, I started CSS again and NONE of my bind where there....

Anyone else got a way to stop this thing???

Khaotic I did the rename thing and when i just now reopened it there is a config.cfg and an configold.cfg

-NoogymanTR%.

DoT
02-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Ok seriously this thing is pissing me off.

I started up CSS and none of my binds where there so I typed them all in again and they worked. Like 3 mins. ago that fucking thing popped up again, I started CSS again and NONE of my bind where there....

Anyone else got a way to stop this thing???

Khaotic I did the rename thing and when i just now reopened it there is a config.cfg and an configold.cfg

-NoogymanTR%.

Noogy, start up css, put in your binds. Then ESC > Exit. Your binds will save.

Alternatively you can save them in your config.cfg

What's happening is you are losing all your saved information when hl2 (CS:S) crashes. I had the same problem, so I did what I said for you to do and now my binds are saved.

-dotty

NoogyMan
02-25-2010, 03:48 PM
So just start it up put in my binds than exit? I'll do it now and make sure they work and edit this post.

Give me a min.

DoT
02-25-2010, 03:50 PM
So just start it up put in my binds than exit? I'll do it now and make sure they work and edit this post.

Give me a min.

Yes sir, if you get the hl2.exe error when you exit they wont save though, so if it gives you that error, do it in the config.cfg

I'm not to sure what could be causing your hl2.exe error as I've never had it actually kick me out of game with it, except on some maps when there are server overloads. (Excessive props spawned)

-dotty

NoogyMan
02-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Ok so I did it. I didn't get that error on the way out so hopfully it saved.

What about that whole config.cfg and configold.cfg.... I renamed the config.cfg file to the configold.cfg file like Khaotic said but now they are both there.

DoT
02-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Ok so I did it. I didn't get that error on the way out so hopfully it saved.

What about that whole config.cfg and configold.cfg.... I renamed the config.cfg file to the configold.cfg file like Khaotic said but now they are both there.

I think that was the point, this way it would autogenerate a new config for you.
(A fresh one)

Not sure though, youll have to ask him.

-dotty

NoogyMan
02-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Okay... seriously. Twice in the past hour while in the middle of a fucking round, moving around, shooting people... not alt tabbed, not afk, but while I'm in the game doing stuff.

Seriously someone PLEASE help me out here. I can't take it anymore I'm about to go postal on this fucker.

Help,
-Noogyman *Jjs:*Jjs:*Jjs:

sacabu
02-26-2010, 06:51 PM
owned by the pc...

reinstall, naturally it will fix everything.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5237/1e557chucknorrisgunhapp.gif

NoogyMan
02-26-2010, 06:55 PM
No I don't see how that would help me becaue I just got finished reformatting my comp.

Seriously though, if someone like Sio, khaotic, or Pen SOMEONE who knows this kinda stuff could answer I would Appreicate it very much.

Otherwise I'm going to start deteteing pointless posts made here, so that I can hopully find an answer.

Thanks and still needs help,
-Noogyman :)

DoT
02-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Let me google around a little.

- dotty

EDIT: Found a few things

1. Delete your entire steam or cstrike folder and reinstall. A normal re-install is re-adding the same files.

NOTE: Back up your important files/files hard to re-obtain.

2. Update all your drivers.

I'll look some more. Though pretty much every source is giving evidence that is saying your rig's not able to support CS:S.

Have you done anything recently to lower your ability to run CS:S?

enderless
02-26-2010, 07:32 PM
1. Delete your entire steam or cstrike folder and reinstall. A normal re-install is re-adding the same files.

This is what i was going to suggest. Perhaps posting your stop code will help too?

NoogyMan
02-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Ok. Noogy Uber n00b time.

1. I've never had to uninstall before How exactly do i do it?

2. What is and how do I get my stop code?

-Noogyman <---Fail.

DoT
02-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Reinstall:

1. Go to your steam folder and delete the folder.

2. On your games tab in steam right click cs:s and press delete local content.

3. After its done, right click cs:s and click donwload, or install game.

NoogyMan
02-26-2010, 07:55 PM
You said something about Drivers? I think My video driver is outdated. Could that be causing it?

My Current Driver is:
Windows verison: Windows XP
Description : NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
Version: 6.14.10.5673

What should I update to?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also....

My Computer>Local Disk(C: )>Program Files>Steam<----This Folder?

Just making sure I'm not wanting to mess anything up.

Thanks for the help btw.
-Noogyman

DoT
02-26-2010, 08:06 PM
You can do that, but if it's just cs:s giving you the error then just delete your cstrike folder.

enderless
02-26-2010, 08:19 PM
I would update your drivers to the latest supported for xp.

As for deleting files, if you delete your cstrike you will lose all binds, commands, sprays, etc. so make sure you back everything up before deleting.

vince21
02-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Ok. Noogy Uber n00b time.

1. I've never had to uninstall before How exactly do i do it?

2. What is and how do I get my stop code?

-Noogyman <---Fail.

i'm pretty sure i got you pwned when it comes to noob vs comp. as from what i've read and personal experience, i would say it sounds like the drivers may be the issue. did this all start after the latest steam update? could that be something? i know that i get this issue when i'm skipping around on servers or trying to do too much at once.

khaotik
02-28-2010, 04:34 AM
Sorry, I have not checked in lately.
The renaming was to generate a new CFG. some commands in the config crashes the game, due to incorrect convars.

You stated when you minimized and alt tabbed, the game crashes.
This is a sign of the memory being too slow, or the graphics card is too slow as wel, to load all of the required files..

As to crashing ingame...

In the advanced startup
steam icon->right click->games->css->right click->properties->advanced
make sure this is an empty line.
Quite a few errors are because of improper advanced lines.

Now, to do some steam reworking.
I want you to delete EVERYTHING in the /steam/ folder, EXCEPT /steamapps/

../steamapps/ holds the downloaded content.

I want you to run RegEdit.
Search for "steam"
delete all registry keys.

Install the latest steam.

Verify game cache, and start steam.
Report back.

Please check for the latest drivers for your graphics card as well.

To ensure your running the latest DirectX componests, Download the latest Dx9.0c drivers here.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en
WinXp Only support Dx9 at this time.
If you have Dx10(cracked) for Win Xp installed, The game may crash with Nvidia cards.
FPS will take a hit as well if you are.
Go to start, run, and type dxdiag. Select the "Display" Tab.
Run both Direct X tests to ensure you have no errors.

If you have not already, also defragment your Harddisks. I recommend perfect disk, however, you must purchase this program after the trail expires.
There are several cracked versions, however be aware, some uploads have viruses injected into the perfect Disk 2010 package.
If the pagefile.sys file is heavily fragmented, Hl2 will also crash due to improper loading of the pagefile when it needs to read/write.

Report back.

NoogyMan
02-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Well I'll do that when I get on my desktop. should be sometime this week. I'll post and let you know what happens.

Thanks again,

vince21
03-01-2010, 01:37 AM
yay for khaotik's godness. i only understood like half of what he said. :/