PDA

View Full Version : Wireless connection

vince21
02-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Ok, so as much as I'd rather have a wired internet connection, I am currently unable to do so (I'm not running a wire through a wall and up a level just to get to my computer in a room which i will not be inhabiting for much longer, god willing). so, my first question is how big of a difference is there between a g router and an n+ router. i've got an n+ usb adapter right now, so i want to upgrade from the g that is currently running the internet to a n+. but is there a noticeable difference?

on a side note, i have been continually kicked from reg office bc my client "timed out". english please? is this just because my signal was so low or because my internet's speed wouldn't hold? would getting a better router solve both of my problems. bc i've been lagging like a mother lately, which really screws with game-play = me being grrr, because i can't hit shit.

any advice is much appreciated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so thanks for the like 50+ views...but can someone respond?
<----- computer illiterate dumbass

SmurfSniper
02-10-2010, 02:33 AM
eh, how many pc's on the router? I run through wireless and the only time I ever lag is when my brother is on his computer. but as far as the router.... as long as your getting a good signal from it I dont think I would worry about getting a new one... I think the different ones just send a signal farther, dont really think its going to speed up your internet...
another thing is to make sure the wireless is secure so people around you cant connect to it.

vince21
02-10-2010, 03:35 AM
yeah, wireless is secure. only 2 comps off of it, 1 connected directly to router and then mine is wireless. but it's definitely not close to my comp and my connection to it is usually very low. 1/4 bars. speed is shitty. like 1.0 mbps - 12.0 mbps normally. can get up to 48.0 mbps at times. just tired of constantly being kicked from servers, lagging, internet being shitty, etc. getting old. i'm going to have to get a router soon anyway, but i wasn't sure how big of a difference it would make now.

SmurfSniper
02-10-2010, 03:48 AM
well then, yea I would get a better router.

Mfh_Betts
02-10-2010, 10:10 AM
yeah, wireless is secure. only 2 comps off of it, 1 connected directly to router and then mine is wireless. but it's definitely not close to my comp and my connection to it is usually very low. 1/4 bars. speed is shitty. like 1.0 mbps - 12.0 mbps normally. can get up to 48.0 mbps at times. just tired of constantly being kicked from servers, lagging, internet being shitty, etc. getting old. i'm going to have to get a router soon anyway, but i wasn't sure how big of a difference it would make now.

Bro, seems like you already know your problem. can get up to 48 mbps.... but usually 12mbps..
12 . mbps = shitty game play, maybe OK for surfing web, that that shit will get you killed.

Wireless N by linksys, is better than wireless G, i would keep your wireless usb adapter and get a new router, or maybe a modem/wireless router.

also, even if you did have a wireless signal at full strength you could get 12 mbps which still = shitty, because of what other people are doing with your bandwidth

New' routers do usually give you more zonage/area to go wireless in, but they also usually have a better send/receive speed... which usually means less loss of packets which will drop u from a server. i mean why increase the broadcast distance if the quality is going to suck right.

vince21
02-10-2010, 11:02 AM
ok, see that's what i thought. but a couple of people were trying to tell me, that no, the n routers weren't any better. you are saying to get a better router, yes? i've already got a modem, wireless router connected to that, and my comp is upstairs. router and adapter are both linksys (love my linksys easy connection) and i was looking at a couple of different routers. 1 of them offers dual bandwidth, so i could set my computer up on a completely different signal. granted it costs a lot more. so, recap: newer router does in fact increase connection speed? bc that's what's been holding me up on getting one. i can live with a low connection, but slow internet is pissing me off. much thanks on the inputs guys.

Mfh_Betts
02-10-2010, 11:19 AM
what kind of wirelessrouter do you currently have?

vince21
02-10-2010, 11:52 AM
i believe it is this one: Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G2 Wireless router - EN, Fast EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=linksys+routers&oe=UTF-8&ved=0CEAQrQQwAw&show=dd&cid=2899233108281755048&sa=title#p)

i couldn't find any other one that looked like what i have. i'm not sure that's what i have or not, but just based off of looks, i'd go with that one. i can verify when i get back home in about 4 hours.

i'm looking at these 3 as possible replacements: Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router WRT320N Wireless router - EN, Fast EN, Gigabit EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft 2.0) (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=linksys+routers&oe=UTF-8&ved=0CEAQrQQwAw&show=dd&cid=15871157426016650033&sa=title#p)
Linksys Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router WRT400N Wireless router - EN, Fast EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft) (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=linksys+routers&oe=UTF-8&ved=0CEAQrQQwAw&show=dd&cid=11307532281280672702&sa=title#p)
Linksys Simultaneous Dual-N Band Wireless Router WRT610N Wireless router - EN, Fast EN, Gigabit EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft) (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=linksys+routers&oe=UTF-8&ved=0CEAQrQQwAw&show=dd&cid=11295629193813229378&sa=title#p)

obviously, that last one's pretty nice. i'm not sure how much better speed i'd get with the other 2 though. middle seemed like it would increase the speed somewhat. didn't really see anything in the first one's description saying it would.

Penatrater
02-10-2010, 07:01 PM
look into a cradlepoint Mbr1000.

Newegg.com - CradlePoint 3g Wireless N- Hot Spot Broadband Router &#40;MBR1000&#41; - Just add your GSM Chip&#33; - Cell Phone Accessories (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875997433&Tpk=mbr1000)

Much cheaper off ebay. I just set up mine and now im connected on the N network at 130mbps. Thats through 4 walls.

My router is out in the garage and my computer is down a level and at the other end of my house. It has some POWER I must say.

Also... Look at your wireless card too. If its a G it wont pick up the N network. You may need to upgrade that, I just went down that road had to upgrade all my stuff to get internet at home.

vince21
02-11-2010, 08:23 AM
don't have a wireless card. a n+ usb adapter. linksys. so, that should work ok, yes? i'll definitely check it out. 130 mbps...shite. just, shite. much thanks penatrater.

watching a few of them on ebay now. this thing is awesome! if i end up getting this one, you're a god pen. :)

Mfh_Betts
02-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Hmm yea bro, the wireless router you have isnt like the best, ,but is should be ok.
i thought it would be some old like 1980's thing lol
I would look into getting a wireless card for your pc.

the problem with the usb adapters, is (as you have probably noticed) that they get hot, and just like pc's if it gets hot it works harder than it has to and lessens your performance.
but yea. i have the router u picked in the middle. and it was easy to set up and works great. though., my apartment is kinda small and am like kk only 6 feet away from it lol

vince21
02-11-2010, 10:02 AM
enh...really don't want to have to get a wireless card if i don't have to. just got the usb adapter not too long ago (apparent by the fact that it's a n, not a g adapter), so changing it out is going to piss me off. :/ what needs be done, needs be done. *sigh* @ self for making more work and money go into this then originally estimated.

<------FailSauce

enderless
02-11-2010, 11:26 AM
I have heard that the USB NIC's are just as fast and reliable as the internals. I've never used one tho, so i couldn't tell you. Is your USB adapter 2.4ghz or 5ghz? That will also make a difference if you want a router with 5ghz.

Draft N routers use 2.4ghz channels and 5ghz channels. 2.4ghz is the older standard, and 5ghz band router will still support 2.4ghz networks (enabled thru the router admin options). 5ghz bands are needed for streaming large files over your network; 2.4ghz will work fine for gaming. Also, you should watch out for supposed "dual band" routers; that is, a router that is capable of using either 2.4ghz or 5ghz. Simultaneous dual band router are capable of running 2 networks at the same time (at various bandwidths if the router supports it). Running a higher frequency (i.e. 5ghz) does not mean that your signal will go farther. Actually, it might hamper the distance that you can push your signal, especially if you have multiple walls to pass thru or a lot of electronic interference in your path.

For my network i currently use an Apple Airport Extreme. Simultaneous dual band 5ghz channels, one for my internet/computer gaming and the other for my media server.

Penatrater
02-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Here are few pictures of my setup ! This is the computer room with my installed cradlepoint wireless card, 50 bucks from best buy. up to 300mbps speed.

Also can anyone spot the funny ????

the cradlepoint router out in the garage and that bed leaning up against the wall is BadFish and Pasties when they come to slumber ! LOLS !

Penatrater
02-11-2010, 05:19 PM
And the antenna outside on the roof for better service. I know it looks gay but im trying everything out before i make it permanent. SUCKS when DSL is just not a option where i live. :(

enderless
02-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Lol nice set up Pen. Still no hard line out to the house?

What did you do, rig the net card to push an IP thru your router? ^_^

Penatrater
02-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Nope no hard line out to my house or anyone's house really.
I didn't want to pay 125.00 per month for satellite internet "rip off" so i went and bought me a Verizon USB modem and external antenna. I plug it into my router out in the garage because i have to get that antenna up on the peak of my roof for the best signal. Then i pipe the wifi from the router inside to my PC. I keep doing the Speed test on the home page here, not too shabby i guess 1300down 650up. But its never the same results twice. my ping in vent is 168, this whole setup is just my hobby for now i guess.

enderless
02-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Nice. I set my friend up with a similar network. Used a altell wireless card and set it up to push a single IP to his router, which distributed it the network (DCHP). He lives out in bum fuck egypt and is getting 2mbs down, 756 up.

Best part: Alltel was bought by verizon, but his original contract was grand-fathered in, so he doesn't have that shitty 5gb cap they impose for his card. Last month he topped 35GB down thru the network. ^_^

Penatrater
02-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Does he run a external antenna ? i see many for sale and in-line boosters also. I'm hoping to get this setup very similar to your buddy's

i have verizon UM175 modem and a magnetic wilson antenna.

enderless
02-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Not that i know of. I think there is a tower right by him, so he hits a pretty good signal without one. :)

GL in getting everything set up. Hopefully you find a decent net card w/no limits on it!

vince21
02-11-2010, 10:19 PM
I have heard that the USB NIC's are just as fast and reliable as the internals. I've never used one tho, so i couldn't tell you. Is your USB adapter 2.4ghz or 5ghz? That will also make a difference if you want a router with 5ghz.

it's a dualband. Linksys Wireless-N USB Network Adapter with Dual-Band with Ultra RangePlus.

Here are few pictures of my setup ! This is the computer room with my installed cradlepoint wireless card, 50 bucks from best buy. up to 300mbps speed.

Also can anyone spot the funny ????

the cradlepoint router out in the garage and that bed leaning up against the wall is BadFish and Pasties when they come to slumber ! LOLS !

funny = moose on moose action... :)

@enderless: so it should be ok, yes? if you look at one of my earlier posts, i was looking at 3 different options. 1) i believe it's 2.4ghz 2) dual-band, but not at the same time 3) dual-band at same time. the one pen posted is dual-band at same time and has me drooling. very nice price for its capabilities from what i can see. i'm actually gaining knowledge of some sort in this subject now...i'm frightened. ;)

enderless
02-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Any of them will work, it's just up to how much money you want to spend. If you're just running a few computers for internet/games, single channel will work fine. If you are doing more (streaming music or movies) or even want the extra channel as a guest account, go with the dual band. :)

vince21
02-19-2010, 11:50 AM
i'm probably going to put out the extra cash for the extra channel, bc knowing me i'll need it in the near future. but i was talking to my older brother who works in i guess IT (he runs the computer system for a business) and he said that what i really needed to do was upgrade my internet service. so my question now is, what would be the best speed? 5mbps, 18 mbps...sigh, again i'm hating on my computer-illiteracy. i don't do anything really hardcore; music, gaming, movies every now and then. suggestions/thoughts?

oh and a HUGE thank you to enderless and penetrater for helping me out with this. you guys rock my socks. :)

Mfh_Betts
02-19-2010, 11:56 AM
i'm probably going to put out the extra cash for the extra channel, bc knowing me i'll need it in the near future. but i was talking to my older brother who works in i guess IT (he runs the computer system for a business) and he said that what i really needed to do was upgrade my internet service. so my question now is, what would be the best speed? 5mbps, 18 mbps...sigh, again i'm hating on my computer-illiteracy. i don't do anything really hardcore; music, gaming, movies every now and then. suggestions/thoughts?

oh and a HUGE thank you to enderless and penetrater for helping me out with this. you guys rock my socks. :)

20k Kbps download is what i think most people usually have, mabye 5k Kbps uplad

if ur googling speed test and shit, if that your asking lol

DoT
02-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Put a comm tower in your backyard 0*_kr