PDA

View Full Version : not really a hardware problem. but..

killer223
05-27-2009, 11:52 PM
So i have been wondering what Os ya'll use.
I right now play either on Ubuntu or win 7-64 or vista 32.
thinking about installing Xp for the heck of it.. what do ya'll think.
my FPS are about the same in vista/7 and about 10 fps lower in Ubuntu. think it'dd be any better in XP?

lemme know what ya'll got.

Killer

Penatrater
05-28-2009, 12:12 AM
i use both on dual boot Xp pro on one raptorX hard drive and then Vista ultimate on my other RaptorX.

If your going to run more than 2 GPUs and more than 3 gigs of memory, vista is the only way.

Whats your system specs n00b ?

killer223
05-28-2009, 07:25 AM
it's not all that great. AMD 64x2 4200, evga 9800gt 4 gb ram. 2x 1 tb seagate for storage, 3 320gb for os's, 24" wide screen.

right now i have PAE turned on so i can address the other 512 mb ram. it's currently set to my ram drive. and of corrse in win 7 and Linux they both see all the ram.
that really isn't the issue though. i usualy only use about 1.5-2. gb ram. i think only every now and then have i used more. (autocad) slowed my comp to a crawl.

Killer

Penatrater
05-28-2009, 11:42 PM
For gaming i think the best OS to use is XP. long as the games are directX 9 and lower. Vista on the other hand for new new games DX10 and soon to be DX11 is the way to go. I mainly play CSS only when i do get to play and it runs much smoother on XP over vista.

Hope that helps out some.

AwpsandKnives
05-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Be careful Pen is smooth, he'll try to bro rape you.

Penatrater
05-29-2009, 11:44 PM
True fact !

enderless
05-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Be careful Pen is smooth, he'll try to bro rape you.

>>>Be careful Pen is smooth
>>>Pen is smooth
>>>Penis smooth

O ic wat u did thar

Deadly_chicken
05-30-2009, 04:50 PM
XP FTW lol, havent played around with windows 7 yet tho, ive heard its pretty nice (even tho all it is is a major hotfix of vista, about to be repackaged as another OS) microsoft is a sneaky bastard...

kamikaze_bad_ass
05-30-2009, 05:06 PM
indeed they are

they should of just stayed with xp pro
best os they have came out with to date other than nt back in the day

and i hear wind 7 is good to my bro gets like 500 windows key for any new os before they come out ( he has numerous microsoft cert's )
i could get him to get me a copy if i really wanted to
i myself run windows xp pro myself ( copy he gave me ) and i'm sticking with it till i'm forced to change

nice never having to buy any os or software lol

killer223
05-30-2009, 07:44 PM
well heck man pass one my way. I'll take a win7 if you/him are up for it. wow..
lol i've never paid for an os either.

AwpsandKnives
05-30-2009, 11:02 PM
I paid 250 for Windows Vista Ultimate. Damn good peice of software. That also makes me an investor in American economy, something all of us should think about when ripping off software companies. When you are going to use something you should pay for it. Then maybe when you get a job you'll get paid, for your work, as well. (sorry about the rant, sorat pet pev)

killer223
05-30-2009, 11:30 PM
i've either used Linux or the win Os came with the comp that i bought.

AwpsandKnives
05-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Meh like I said just ranting.....

badfish
05-31-2009, 12:25 AM
just go get a ripped copy its less hassle...fuck paying and fuck soopa

............baddie

enderless
05-31-2009, 12:28 AM
too bad M$ outsources nearly all of it's physical labor to china and India. :/

Also, i'm running the w7 beta and fucking love it. Runs just like vista (which i have used faithfully for 2+ years now) and has a ton of features. :)

Deadly_chicken
05-31-2009, 01:42 AM
Windows 7 from what i heard, unlike vista, is actually pretty damn stable, lotsa kids in my class have been running the beta, and even my teacher who HATES windows and is a complete linux guru liked it (but thats because the OS is becoming more like linux every time lol)

kamikaze_bad_ass
05-31-2009, 04:27 AM
naw soopa let me explain

because he is microsoft certified microsoft itself sends him a list of cd keys for him to install on his systems at work for his customers and at home so he can help do beta testing and he sends them feedback an issues with it
but because he works for a small comp company he only uses bout half the list at work and shit the rest he will only give to close family ( me ) and very close freinds an only if they want it

it's not a ripped copy persay when that company ask you to test for them

kinda the old adge " you scratch my back i scratch your back "

i got a feeling sio's knows what i mean an a few other comp gurus in yer

Deadly_chicken
05-31-2009, 01:20 PM
yea.... i cant wait till i get my microsoft cert. done... lol

killer223
05-31-2009, 10:08 PM
i know how the Ms giving you keys goes.
When i worked for Vizualogic and built the VMOD (VMOD in-car computer and media management server || Incorporating your home life into your mobile life || (http://www.myvmod.com)) Ms was throwing os's and key as us like crazy to get us to use Ms instead of Linux. i have a copy of vista basic, home and ultimate, all never used keys. we ended up going with Xp home and for 45$ a copy that kept out bottom line lower and still did what we needed it to.

AMD and Intel were doing the same, throwing CPU's at us. i worked with the good ol boys at Intell and they built us a ULV celleron with 1Mb cache. AMD's counter part never passed the heat stress test. both at 1Ghz.

but i no longer work there and would like to have a copy of win7 w/legal key.

rjk83
09-24-2009, 11:12 PM
btw, this post is kinda old, but MS doesn't give away keys for getting certs... He probably has an EA agreement at the company he works for. Just wanted to clarify so that when all you bastards load up on MS certs, you aren't disappointed when you don't get your free OS :)

And actually, they don't even mail your Certificates for free anymore, you have to pay for them or print them out yourself...

Cheap bastards...

Guitar Guy
09-26-2009, 04:07 PM
I paid 250 for Windows Vista Ultimate. Damn good peice of software. That also makes me an investor in American economy, something all of us should think about when ripping off software companies. When you are going to use something you should pay for it. Then maybe when you get a job you'll get paid, for your work, as well. (sorry about the rant, sorat pet pev)

When software companies stop chargin your limbs for an operating system that is full of bloatware, then I'll buy it. $250 could get me a high end graphics card. Why waste it on an operating system that could be $50?

dvxAznSensationxvb
09-28-2009, 03:35 PM
the 250 isnt supposed to have the trailwares............ if it does then ill be annoyed lol, most of the price is due to the purity of the OS of it not having shit in it........... shiet a OS cd from the manufacturer for me is only 30 bucks so i rather take out everything instead than use 250

rjk83
09-28-2009, 03:45 PM
I think that most of the cost is due to the cost to employ thousands of engineers, developers and testers that produce a quality Operating System like XP, Vista, 7.

Bill Gates said that the estimated cost to produce Windows Vista was $6 Billion. And after spending $6 Billion to develop Vista, he said "Best $6 billion I ever spent."... Vista really is a good OS, it gets a bad rap, if you can embrace the change, and look past the original release issues with compatibility and driver availability, then it's a great OS.

If you don't want to pay for an OS, then go illegal (and don't degrade the product or bitch) or go with a Linux disrto...

Shotgun
10-26-2009, 11:45 AM
First my Rig:
Gateway M1340 Metallica Blue
Ati Radeon 1300x
4GB DDR2 RAM
2 Logical Turion 64x CPUs
PC150 Sennheiser Microphone
Logitech Optical Mouse

OSs:
Vista 64-bit Pro
Ubuntu
Linux Redhat Distribution
Virtual Machines for testing with XP/ 2000/ 2008RS/ 2003 (I program!)