PDA

View Full Version : problems with my comp

Sajora
03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
well i have a problem with my computer. i noticed it just happens when im playing. when i start to play everything seems to be ok. but after a few minutes my screen turns black and i cant see the game anymore. happens for a few seconds then the game comes back for like 2 secs and it turns black again. it happened in css and l4d.
smurf said it could be the video card but hes not 100% sure about it. ill install some other games tomorrow and see if its also on those games.
maybe one of you guys can help me out and tell me if its rly the vid card.
thanks

Saj.

kamikaze_bad_ass
03-12-2009, 05:01 AM
sajoria,
i got 2 applications that you can run and tell ya what the problem is

first: PassMark BurnInTest software - PC Reliability and Load Testing (http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm)
second: Futuremark - Download (http://www.futuremark.com/download)
(trial versions for both are fine unless ya have money to buy full versions)

on the first one go to select test and chose CPU, ram, video, 2 d and 3 d graphics set every thing to max CLOSE ALL APPLICATIONS!!!!!!! NOTING MUST BE RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND NO INTERNET OR GAMES NOTHING BUT YOUR DESKTOP ** VERY IMPORTANT CAUSE IT WILL MAX EVERYTHING ON YOUR COMPUTER OUT FOR THE TEST**
it will run for bout 30 mins and don't fuck with your computer during that time

the second test open application make sure everything is correct in fields for your computer ans as above CLOSE ALL APPLICATIONS!!!
than start test but this time sit there and watch the show for and video errors or problems there's 2 test on there that bypasses your video card and run strictly off your CPU these two test will run slow no matter how good your computer is so don't pay attention to them but all the others watch for video problems

if ya get a fail on any part of test on first it will telll you where problem lyes
the second one ya mostly have to catch the errors yourself

let me know what ya get
and your welcome
KAMI

Breaker
03-12-2009, 08:12 AM
well what to say about it.. i have the same problem as well.. but it only happens to me once a few few months so... i doubt its the vid card.. but u never know.. maybe it just got to hot...
i had this problem also before i bought a new comp.. but it i don't know if its the comp then or the game it self..

take care

Yours,

Breaker

kamikaze_bad_ass
03-12-2009, 08:22 AM
ya I'm not a computer expert but defiantly a computer geek cause of by brother being a computer programmer and shit and i hang out at the local computer geeks store i can normally trouble shoot problems

and if your having problems with games like video or performance
it's normally one of 4 things
Video card processor or overheating ( my current problem)
ram not compatible or bad
processor issues
or your video card slot on motherboard or possibly some else on motherboard is bad

comps are really like cars in every sense of the word they have many compents that must work in sync if one goes bad you got problems

Sajora
03-12-2009, 10:07 AM
i did that first thing and tested everything but it didnt show any errors.
i installed CoD4 and played it but nothing happened with the screen yet. well it went black for 2 secs between the levels but it came back and stayed. i think ill install some more games and see if the same shit happens.

pasties
03-12-2009, 10:08 AM
well i would say since you play 26 hrs a day, I would say it's your vid card getting to hot....if thats not it....it would be your ram. I would say it's not your cpu as you would have more issues than that. I also, think it is not your mobo.... cause it would shut down/off usually.

gl hope you get your rig back up soon.

Sajora
03-12-2009, 10:15 AM
well i checked if its overheating but the temp was at 72°C when it happened. and today when i stopped playing CoD it was on 80°C and it didnt happen except the short thing between the levels. i duno if 72 and 80 counts as overheating but nothing happened at 80.
im confused lol

Ryan
03-12-2009, 10:37 AM
well i checked if its overheating but the temp was at 72°C when it happened. and today when i stopped playing CoD it was on 80°C and it didnt happen except the short thing between the levels. i duno if 72 and 80 counts as overheating but nothing happened at 80.
im confused lol

While those temps are pretty hot, they are not killer temperatures (for graphics cards). Temperatures above 80c might cause some problems such as artifacts, but in many cases a graphics card could continue on to temperatures above that. It would not hurt to try and dissipate some of that heat.

Adding some air flow might just do the trick, as the vRAM might be running a little hot. If not, you might try updating to the latest drivers and see if that helps at all.

killer223
03-24-2009, 09:29 PM
wow those temps are A LOT higher than i would ever let min get. try running with the case cover open.
another thing it could be is your monitor. mine did that before it went out.
If the ram is bad your comp will freeze. or just not work. it wouldn't make your screen go off and on like you say.
lower your temps. mine never get above 55C

rjk83
03-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Saj (Sie Frau),
What did you change recently? Anything?

If not, first, clean out your pc. CPU heatsink and such, blow out the vid card heatsink/fan unit as well. Many CPU's now will regulate speed based on temp and if it's getting too hot, it could cause a lot of issues. (I generally see tremendous performance increases in CSS after cleaning out my pc if I wait too long since CSS is so CPU intensive).

Generally, It would seem like driver issues, but if you haven't updated anything then probably don't need to worry about that. Also, if it is only an issue with games, I would look first to a heat issue (80c is really high, even for old P4's that run super hot).

Only other thing that hasn't been covered is to maybe look at your power supply if you've added any hardware recently, it's possible that the power supply being overly worked could dick up the video.

But again, as Pasties said.... You play 23 hours a day....

Penatrater
03-24-2009, 11:31 PM
It sounds like a heat issues to me ! I would power it down and take the side off of it and blow it out good with a can of computer Air. You can pick them up anywhere. Computers are Natural dust boxes! Every 3 to 6 months you should blow it all out and inspect your components, Looking for anything restrictive. Check your fans make sure they all are pulling good. That would be the first thing i would do if i were you.

Gl